Have you ever had a blood test and wondered what all the medical jargon means? One of the most commonly tested markers in a blood test is the Hepatitis B surface antigen or HBsAg. This marker is essential for diagnosing and monitoring various conditions, from Hepatitis B to kidney and liver disease.
This post delves into what HBsAg is, why people get it tested, and what the results mean for your health. If you want to understand HBsAg and its implications better, read on.
What Is HBsAg?
HBsAg stands for Hepatitis B surface antigen. It is a protein found on the surface of the Hepatitis B virus (HBV) and used to detect the presence of an active HBV infection. It is one of the markers used in diagnosing Hepatitis B and is usually the first to appear in the blood during an acute HBV infection.
Why Is HBsAg Getting Tested?
HBsAg (Hepatitis B surface antigen) gets tested as part of a screening for the Hepatitis B virus (HBV). It helps detect the presence of an active HBV infection and helps determine the level of HBV immunity, and identifies individuals who are carriers of the virus. The HBsAg test can help diagnose an active or past HBV infection and helps determine the risk of developing an HBV-related illness.
What Do The HBsAg Results Mean for Your Health?
HBsAg results, or Hepatitis B surface antigen results, can determine whether or not a person is Hepatitis B positive.
- A positive result indicates that you are currently infected with the virus and at risk of developing liver disease or passing on the virus to others. You should seek medical advice to discuss treatment options.
- A negative result indicates that the person does not have an active infection.
How Does the HBsAg Blood Test Carry Out?
The HBsAg blood test is a screening test for the presence of the hepatitis B virus (HBV). The test measures the amount of Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) in the blood.
When a person tests HBV positive, their body produces the HBsAg protein. The test helps detect this protein in the blood, helps doctors diagnose an active HBV infection, and determines the Hepatitis B status.
This test can diagnose an active or recent infection with the virus. This analysis will help determine one’s immunity to Hepatitis B and to check for chronic illness.
What Are The Benefits of Taking an HBsAg Blood Test?
An HBsAg blood test helps detect the presence of the Hepatitis B virus in the blood. This test diagnoses an active infection or determines the vaccination status of a person:
The benefits of taking an HBsAg blood test include the following:
- Detecting an Active Hepatitis B Infection: An HBsAg test can help diagnose active Hepatitis B infections, allowing for prompt treatment to reduce the risk of long-term complications.
- Identifying People at Risk of Hepatitis B Infection: This HBsAg test can identify people at risk for Hepatitis B infection, such as those in close contact with an infected person. This identification can help prevent disease and promote early treatment in those exposed.
- Assessing the Need for Vaccination: A HBsAg test can determine whether someone needs a vaccination against Hepatitis B.
- Monitoring the Effectiveness: This test also monitors the effectiveness of treatment for Hepatitis B infection, helping track the effectiveness of the Hepatitis B vaccine.
- Determine the Person: A HBsAg test is beneficial to determining whether a person is at risk of passing the virus to others. This benefit is more helpful in taking preventive measures. This test determines whether a person needs to receive a Hepatitis B vaccine.
- Diagnosing Newborns: This practical test also diagnoses infection in newborns whose mothers have Hepatitis B.
- Other benefits of taking an HBsAg blood test include helping to determine a person’s risk of developing chronic Hepatitis B and helping identify those in need of vaccination against the virus.
HBsAg Test Cost
The cost of the HBsAg blood test in India varies from state to state. India’s average HBsAg blood test price range is Rs. 300 to Rs.1300.
- Delhi- Rs.600
- Andhra Pradesh – Rs 400,
- Gujarat – Rs 550,
- Bnaglore – Rs 400,
- Kerala – Rs 500,
- Mumbai – Rs 500
- Rajasthan- Rs 600.
Let’s conclude that HBSag is a marker for hepatitis B infections and essential to diagnosing the virus. Simply speaking, the test is about detecting the protein in the blood. Knowing what HBSag is and what it means can help determine if you need further steps to treat or prevent the virus. It is important to remember that hepatitis B is a serious health concern, and taking the necessary steps to protect your health is crucial.
Read More Health Blogs Here:
How To Keep Your Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) At Normal Levels